Wednesday, October 10, 2018

Fun for a change

Fun? Are you off your rocker.

Er... no, are you?

Fun? I don't believe I'm hearing this.

What's wrong? It's a perfectly reasonable observation.

Reasonable? We're describing, we're investigating the quantum field - and you want it to be fun.

Well, yes - duh! Of course it should be fun. You've got to connect with your readers, haven't you?!

No, not really.

What do you mean? Of course you do - otherwise you won't have any.

Immaterial.

Immaterial?

Absolutely.

Huh?

I need to connect with one thing only...

Which is?

The quantum field.

O - k. Go for it. Have fun.

Why on earth do you have to trivialise everything?

?

This isn't about having fun.

Er...

It's serious scientific research.

Well, I'm glad to hear it. I'd hate to think you were doing anything less.

Which is why I object to your use of the "f" word.

You mean "fun".

There you again - effing away like there's no tomorrow.

No tomorrow?

Like there's no tomorrow.

Yes, I heard you alright - it's just ironic you should say that.

It is? Why?

Because that's what differentiates the quantum field from 3D reality - where we are now.

No tomorrow?

Precisely.

How do you mean?

Well, most people in this 3D reality assume there is a tomorrow - which is always just beyond today's horizon - never quite attainable but always giving birth to a new day, like a hen laying an egg.

Strange way of putting it - but I suppose, in a manner of speaking, that's what tomorrow amounts to - but so what?

It's a linear thing, isn't it?

Er... I'm not sure - maybe.

It's an infront of a present moment right here, with a past or yesterday behind. A time line - or an earth spinning if you prefer. Tomorrow is one revolution beyond today's.

Yes, I suppose that's correct, but then again - so what? You're not saying anything new, are you?

No, nothing new whatsoever - 3D reality is a time tube.

A time tube - that's somewhat original.

If you like. As long as you're in a time tube - like swimming in a time stream - that's all you know, all you can experience - tomorrow's yesterday or yesterday's tomorrow - a today in which we're never quite present as we're forever ping ponging between the two - you see...?

Er... kinda

but if you're doing the quantum thing - there's no tomorrow.

None?

None.

But why?

because there's only either here or now.

Either?

Yeah. Either you're here - or you're now - but in neither case are you in any way able to imagine or experience what may or might amount to tomorrow.

But

Why?

Yeah.

Because tomorrow is a massive distraction. As soon as you divert your attention to that - you cannot hold the moment - the either here or now that is

Er... hello...

hello.

Is what?

Huh?

The either here or now, you were saying, that is... what?

Dude, didn't I make myself clear? If there's no tomorrow - you only have moment to play with - and moment which is either here or now cannot be what - in any way, shape or

form... damn this is complicated.

On the contrary, dear friend - it's incredibly simple.

No, it's not.

No, it's not. You see - I just agreed with you and contradicted myself.

Er...

No what - I can contradict myself a million times - it's ok - there's no thing fixing things down in one place or another - there's a field full of moment - and nothing else.

I give up.

Yes. It was always going to end that way.

Hey - I'm not saying you're right.

No.

I'm saying it's impossible to reason with you. You're lost in space, man. You're talking gibberish.

Absolutely. But I'm having fun.

You are? Really? How? At whose expense?

At no expense whatsoever. Having fun is always free. It costs nothing. It's the natural product of the quantum state of being beautiful.

Beautiful? I'm not sure that's how I'd describe you Animus.

No, but then you're not having fun - are you?

Er...

You're being serious and getting worked up, hot around the collar...

I'm trying to get things straight. I'm...

Doing valuable research - is that it?

Kind of. I'm trying to.

But don't you see the contradiction

Er...

In trying to research the quantum field.

Now wait a minute... hold on there...

[whistling contentedly]

You're saying it's not possible to research the quantum field? That's... man... everything can be studied and understood, no matter how complicated. That's the basis of all science and knowledge.

Correct.

Then how can you suggest we can't study the quantum field?

Let me demonstrate. A picture is worth ten thousand words - is it not?

I suppose so. If it's a good one.

Well, here goes. I'm going to put my hands - just my hands - into the quantum field right now - and you're job is to observe and tell me what you see.

Er... ok. Are you sure this can be done? I thought the quantum field collapses the minute it's observed...

It would do, normally, but if you're not really in the present - if you're a kind of amalgam of tomorrow and yesterday - then to what extent are you really able to observe the isness of be.

The what?

Isness. The isness of be. That which is-ing before your very eyes - quantum flux - the quantum stream - any name you wish to give it - words, naves, names - mere data points on your hologram 3D neither here nor there.

Ok, ok - just get on with it please.

I did. What did you observe.

Nothing. Nothing at all.

Strange that, isn't it.

Not really. You just wiggled your hands forwards, up and down a fraction, as if you were pretending to reach into another space - hey - wtf

Language

Where the hell did that come from?

What?

That orange.

What orange?

In your hands.

No idea what you're on about.

There's an orange in your hands. It wasn't there a second ago. How did it get there.

Maybe it's just an optical illusion.

No it's not. Do you think I'd not be able to tell the difference. Let me take it.

Feel free, but honestly - I don't know what you're on about.

There you are - I told you it's an orange. If I peel it - look inside. It sure tastes like an orange.

Well, I'll be darned. It does, you know. It actually tastes like an orange.

Ok - tell me the trick.

Shh. Observe.

No way! You've done it again.

Another orange?

Don't be ridiculous. It's a car.

A car? You're kidding.

No - are you blind.

Kind of.

Huh?

I'm not observing. You're the observer, in case you've forgotten.

But it's... wait a minute. That's not a toy car.

No?

No, It's way bigger than your hands.

It is?

It's running. It's a real bloody car.

Language, please.

It's a real car. What's it doing here in my room?

I really don't know. This is somewhat disturbing wouldn't you say?

This is insane. Wait a minute. Let me pinch myself. I'm... ouch - definitely not dreaming.

Anything else you'd like to do?

I'd like to hear your explanation.

Wait a minute. Now is not the time for that.

What do you mean?

I think you're drawing something else into my hands.

Me?

Yes, you. You're the observer, aren't you?

But I'm just watching. I'm not drawing anything anywhere.

Really? Don't be so sure. The orange and the car are real enough, aren't they?

Yes, but that was you, or the quantum field - wasn't it. Not me.

I wouldn't be so sure. I for one never did anything to make them appear - so I suspect you, as observer played a much more active role than you realise.

But, if it was me...

Yes?

I'd know, wouldn't I?

Not necessarily.

Not necessarily? However not?

Not if you're still stuck between yesterday and tomorrow, ping ponging back and forth.

?

You'd never get the chance to catch up with yourself, or your real thoughts.

No?

You'd always be one step, no matter how tiny, behind the curve.

So who would be responsible for this wanton profligacy - drawing an orange and a car from the quantum vacuum with careless disregard for Newton's conservation of energy principles.

Who indeed would ride roughshod over such hallowed, precious principles - if not you - the real observer that you be.

Er... I...

You're seeing, aren't you, but you're not really observing, are you?

Er...

Someone else is doing that - some other you, or let's say, some other part of you, which presumably knows a thing or two about quantum mechanics.

How?

How what?

How can a part of me know anything about quantum mechanics if I myself don't?

Truly an excellent question. Why don't we find out.

How?

By zeroing in.

Huh?

Zeroing in. Every time you observe and extract an item from the quantum field - your awareness is building of something going on in plain sight - something which your eyes are not yet seeing, something you're not yet able to figure out - here - let's give it one more go. Three data points are always better than two.

They are?

Absolutely.

Why?

Because once you've seen something from three different angles - no matter what it is - you begin to get a sense of perspective.

But...

Yes?

I'm not seeing these things from a different angle - am I?

Not yet. You only have two data points - which is insufficient - so you're not yet able to complete the puzzle.

So...

Go to it. Observe.

You mean...

Yes, you got it.

Observe the observer.

Observe the observer observing - and what will take care of itself.

Oh my God.

Seen anything.

It's too big.

Who says?

It's - it's going to crush me.

What? What is it?

Aaaaaaargh!

The suspense is killing me.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Will it never end?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh

Apparently not.

g g g g g g

Unusual.

hhhhhhhhhh

Gentle aspirations of competing affinities.

....

And then silence.

-

Alive or dead?

Er... I'm not sure. I...

Yes?

I just got eaten by a gigantic beetle, didn't I?

Er... can't say for sure. You seem to be more or less whole

You mean to say...

I mean to say - if you got eaten by a gigantic beetle then that would help explain the gagulous screams, snorts and gargles you were making.

But - it can't have happened. I'm still alive.

I think it probably did - only it wasn't here, was it?

What do you mean?

I'm pretty sure it was there.

You look different now.

I'd look more than different if I'd just been eaten by a humongous beetle, wouldn't I?

Not if the beetle was doing what I think it was.

And what was that?

I rather suspect it was an old friend of mine - the Mandelbrot snark.

I beg your pardon?

Oh, just a name I gave it. Pay no attention.

But what, if you don't me saying, is the Mandelbrot snark?

That's the beetle which marks and defends the perimeter of the moment now, or here, where they get all matey and start trying to have kids.

Er... Are you being serious?

Not really - but the beetle is real enough.

And what does it do?

Naturally it guards the gateway in and out.

And what?

Apparently it ate you. Rather foolishly you tried to sneak past while in your 3D avatar.

My what?

The observer who isn't terribly good at seeing - you know - the one who's forever bouncing back and forth between yesterday and tomorrow.

So it just decided to eat me?

Yes. Actually, it didn't decide to do anything. You basically served yourself up on a plate - 3D idiot that you are - or were, I should say, and dear MBS had a feast - without giving it a moment's thought.

Oh. So, part of me was literally eaten.

Absolutely. You could say in all honesty, that you just died.

And you let that happen - knowing it was going to happen - without trying to save me.

Yes, I suppose I did, but honestly - it sounds like you're trying to take things way too seriously again - I mean - admit it - it was fun, wasn't it?

Fun? It was horrific. I nearly died.

Nearly?

I died! I feel so... violated.

Yes. But then again - you gave as good as you got.

I did?

Oh yes. Wanna observe?

Not really. Not unless I have to.

I don't see how else you're going to have fun.

I wish you'd stop banging on about having fun. It does grate somewhat.

Er... Ok, fair enough. Look. I'll just leave you to get on with things.

But...

Yes.

Wait a minute. I don't know how to get back.

Back? Where?

To where I was.

You mean back into that thing.

Thing?

Well - look how else can I describe it?

Oh - I see what you mean.

You could try re-assembling it.

I could?

Yes, why not? It could be fun.

But all those parts. I'd not know where to start.

True, but if you just start, nonetheless. Here, observe, if you will.

Oh...

See?

Of course. It's clear as day, isn't it.

Observe again.

What a beautiful place.

Yes, it should be - you designed it yourself.

I did?

Yes - wanna observe how?

You bet I do.

Zoom in - there really is no limit.

Oh. My. God. This is... this takes the biscuit...

You see?

Absolutely. I see. I feel. I know.

Amen. It is I am.

So all my 3D life was like...

Kind of yes.

A pupation?

Sounds creepy.

A womb experience.

Even creepier.

It was a ripening nodule.

That's less creepy.

An emerging node.

Ah!

And now I can do reality from both sides.

Yep.

I can idiotise in 3D.

Definitely.

Or Ism here

Here

In

beep

beep

beep

suddenly - back on Earth in 3D reality - every telephone, computer and electrical device starts carrying a new signal - the entire internet - for a few iterations - before the signal beeps out beyond the purely electrical - breaching electro-magnetic walls - now touching every atom, every sub-atomic particle, every planet, every star - every thing whatever "thing" conceivably may or might be - all carrying the signal - all - amazingly, impossibly, inconceivably brought into a togetherness of one - collapsing without violence, pain or time, into a singularity - and back, almost instantaneously into a many - ping ponging infinity and beep - the closest we get to nought - effortlessly - like an actor on stage reciting lines - captivating a theatre - like a ballet dancer, an acrobat, an athlete leaping, weightlessly - like a child playing a game which appears to make no sense, appears to have no rules, but which reduces the whole room to tears of laughter and joy, and thus the world wags and thus it is - i am.

Cuckoo
 la   l
a

No comments:

Post a Comment