Sunday, May 20, 2018

Imbiminy - if you will


You can’t just pick and choose, Ty. Infinity can’t be selected to serve your agenda.

True.

It’s always gonna be more than you imagine – always one step ahead of your reasoning.

Yes.

So any attempt to explain it, to organise it or direct it is

doomed to failure – absolutely.

Well then what the hell are you on about?

Huh?

You’ve spent the last year trying to instruct me in the ways of infinity.

Have i?

Yes, as you know full well.

And did I succeed?

Obviously not – or we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

But you yourself said “infinity’s always gonna be more than you imagine – always one step ahead of your reasoning”.

And?

Well who’s to say that this discussion and everything that’s happened in the last year isn’t also part of infinity, in which case

Oh come on Ty, this is ridiculous

in which case you might be missing some vital awareness which hasn’t yet impacted your awareness.

Er…

I know – the sentence is kind of clumsy – but there’s not a lot of point trying to polish my terms and definitions when we’re in the business of engaging the Field.

Here we go again – “the grand Field of All that is”.

Touché. Sounds so cheesey doesn’t it – but that’s what you get when you start rubbing up against Imbiminy.

Er…

[whispering] We’ve gotta stop using the in fin word.

Why?

Because it’s listening – isn’t it?

Er – it is?

And naturally, the minute it hears its name it starts rerouting, recoding, rearranging…

Any more synonyms?

…reorganising things.

Er – why?

Obvious, isn’t it.

Er – no, not really.

Imbiminy hates being second-guessed. It’s willing to do almost anything in order not to be predictable.

But… why?

Oh, you know – it’s just a thing it has.

It? You make it sound like it’s conscious.

Well what else could it be?

Passive. A mere process – or a description of All that is – er – I don’t know – I never really gave it any thought.

Precisely – you were never supposed to because Imbiminy hates being understood or recognised. The minute we start shining the light of our awareness on it – it slinks back into the shadows. It can’t handle being analysed. That’s the one thing that gets its goat...

Oh come on, man!

...gets it confused, collapses its wave function and prevents it from being...

being what?

…infinite.

You mean to say that infin

Wisht! Don’t say the word – I warned you already.

Oh, give me a break Ty – you're having me on. It isn’t conscious. Even if it were – it certainly wouldn’t care about what we’re saying.

Oh yeah – we’ll test your lazy assumption in a minute.

Ok, I’ll play along if that’s what you want – you really imagine that the vastness of Imbiminy actually wastes its time worrying about what two completely non-descript blokes are discussing out here in the desert, in the middle of nowhere…

On the planet Narwhal, in the Ephelon Galaxy, in the year 2012wv…

Precisely.

Of course.

Of course?

Absolutely.

But why?

Why not? What could possibly be of greater importance to infinity than our discussion here and now. You know, the fact that we’re having this discussion completely alters the path and passage of everything else in existence – and compels Imbiminy – if indeed it is conscious – to go to great extremes to avoid getting too aware of itself.

How do you mean?

Well, the minute imbiminy starts following too closely our thread, gazing in the mirror of our conscious-awareness, narcissistically trying to catch a glimpse of itself…

Oh – so now imbiminy is narcissistic – is it?

Well it’s hardly going to be any different from you or me – is it – I mean – where do you imagine our consciousness and awareness originate?

Er… I rather assumed they arose within that precious little thing called me.

Hum – methinks he doth assume too much.

Well, be that as it may – surely imbiminy has bigger fish to fry.

Wrong – size is irrelevant where imbiminy is concerned.

Then what?

Attention. Wherever we direct our attention – thither headeth our consciousness.

And what?

It slams into a field of strangeness which we’re herein referring to as Imbiminy.

And?

And Imbiminy gets a reality check it was not expecting – or a kind of déjà vu experience. Whatever it is – it’s enough to give imbiminy pause for thought – and therein hangs a tale, as a fool once said.

So now you’re quoting fools to prop up your absurd theories regarding infin

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

Oh, for God's sake Ty. Quit fooling around. It’s just a word. No one’s listening.

I warned you. We’ve already attracted too much attention: merely thinking about this subject, let alone discussing it trips switches, sets off alarms – red flags are raised through the continuum…

So now it’s a continuum!

Well what else is a field to be?

Look – I’m going to have a laugh. 5 solaris that nothing happens when I say this word.

Of course nothing will happen if you put it like that – Imbiminy isn’t going to reveal itself to help you win a bet.

Then you see – I may as well say the word and be done with it. Infinity.

Thank you Zie.

Er…

You’ve done it again.

Ty – quit horsing around.

So now you’re free to use the word as much as you like, Zie.

Ty, I’d appreciate it if you’d call me by my proper name.

Zie. I’d appreciate it if you’d do likewise. I be Merry.

Merry? What’s going on? Stop messing around.

Look around Zie. Where are we?

I’m Quant, ok – we’re where we’ve always been – in the des… wait a minute – what’s this?

Desert – you were saying?

Wait a second. I’m feeling kind of… what’s going on… I…

Repeat after me – if you’d do me the honour of humouring an old acquaintance. My name is Zie and you are Merry.

No, I’m Quant and you’re Ty.

Oh hell, this is going to be hard on you.

Aaaargh – what’s happening to me. Get out of me – get out of my body – aaaaargy. Ty, save me.

Just play along – it won’t cost you anything – my name is Zie and you be Merry.

No, I’m not insane… shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii  ok, ok, three headed monster that you are! My name is Zie, though I hate the sound of it, and you be Merry, though you make me want to puke for saying so.

Good – that will do.

Ahhhhhhhh! That’s better. What the hell was that all about? And who on earth is Ty?

Oh – it’s a long story – one of those quantum things.

Wherein hangs a tale?

Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury.

Let me guess – signifying nothing?

Correct.

A whole lotta nothing – if you ask me.

Absolutely.

So infinity strikes again – does it?

Yep – until your friend on the other side of “equals nought” decides to heed Ty’s advice and treat it with a little more respect.

But how come we can get away with it here?

Because we are neither here nor there. We’re the sub-set that infinity created – like a clearing house in its consciousness – where self and awareness battle each other and wear each other out in a game which can neither be lost nor won – such is the nature of the beast we ride upon.

The beast that is 666?

Yes – I suppose it could well be – though I doubt the number’s going to assist you in learning how to tame it and make it serve your purpose.

My purpose? What could my purpose possibly be?

I have no idea. I rather suspect that infinity is willing to do almost anything to prevent you from knowing that.

Like creating another subset of consciousness to outsource all awareness of this matter to another dimension of Is?

That kind of thing, yes.

So…

So – you feel your mind feverishly trying to grasp what eludes it – and doing so – you’re giving infinity exactly what it wants – something to push against – something to play with. You’re being entirely predictable – rationally.

And you think I shouldn’t?

Not if you want answers to this or any other fundamental question.

Ah – it’s a game of cat and mouse – is it?

I assume so – at least that’s what Quant failed to realise – which rather popped his bubble.

You don’t mean – that he’s dead?

Dead? How can anything be dead where infinity is concerned?

Oh – bewildering this is…

On the contrary – you seem to be making excellent progress, in no small measure thanks to Ty’s intransigence. You know – I rather suspect he actually knew what he was doing. Perhaps he’s playing a double game – trying to goad you into solving his problems for him.

Oh – that’s a thought. I wonder what would happen if I started playing along – mirroring his last exchange…

Interesting thought – that would certainly cause infinity a little confusion – perhaps even a spot of anxiety.

Don’t you mean imbiminy.

No – I mean in fin

Stop Merry – don’t say that – you don’t seem to realise.

Realise what?

That we’re not alone.

Oh come on Zie – stop having me on.

Just humour me Merry.

Why on earth should I? To tell the truth I’m heartily sick of your silly games.

My silly games? Well, be that as it may – I’ve noticed that things never go to play when we name the beast, so I’d ask you to refer to it as imbiminy.

And you think infin

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep!

Ok, ok – imbiminy. Happy now.

Thanks.

You really imagine that in-stupid-biminy cares what you or I say? Like it’s got nothing better to do?

I don’t know Merry, but I know someone who does.

You do?

Yes, his name’s Ty, but he doesn’t appear to exist at the moment.

Whyever not?

Because he’s currently in the “equals nought” part of the equation.

Er… Zie… what’s got into you.

Actually it’s Quant.

Oh come on Zie.

Which is exactly where I now find myself.

You do?

Yes – don’t you feel it Ty?

Ty? I’m sure my name’s Merry.

Because it was never more than a mind-tick away – and fortunately, now that we’ve learnt to mirror our phase syncopation – it appears to be ridiculously easy to switch sides.

Phase syncopation – what on earth is that?

I have no idea Ty – I was hoping you would explain.

Er… well, now that I think about it – yes – I suppose I can. Two phases that are syncopated – where the strong beats in the music become weak or vice versa – so thus we can switch sides or jump phase. Really, there’s nothing to it.

Just as long as we’re willing to suspend our disbelief.

Or rationality – rather than hanging on for dear life.

So it’s mission accomplished then – imbiminy has allowed us to bring the two sides into a working relationship.

Apparently so. Well done Quant or Zie, whichever you prefer.

It’s more about the flow of things – isn’t it – than what I prefer.

How do you mean?

When the curve of conscious-ness is heading down – then it makes sense to be on the other side, as Zie.

And never the twain shall meet.

Except they do.

Do they?

Yes, in humour, in laughter and tears, in poetry, and a million other ways.

A million? Me thinks he doth inflate too much…

On the contrary, Merry – tis but the nature of the beast.

Oh that. Your beloved 666.

The raging bull, that is kaleidoscopically able to take any form – the beloved beetle, the butterfly, the iguana…

Ok, ok, I think we’ve got the message.

Just as soon as I no longer need to validate one side of things – just as soon as I no longer need to insist that I know, or can possibly know what is what.

Sounds like a recipe for insanity.

Indeed it is – if I fail to heed the syncopated flow of binaural beats holding the conscious-awareness in a dipolar state of repulsive attraction.

Or, allow me to play the devil’s advocate…

This is going to be horribly predictable.

In that case I won’t bother.

No, go ahead – imbiminy insists.

She does, does she? Sounds like Dorothy’s had enough of being an “it”. So where was I?

Pushing the bounds of predictability towards infinity.

Oh yes – that – in a dipolar state of – no I can’t – it’s going to collapse the wave function again.

Just do it. IN-FIN-ITY.

Aaaaaaargh… what have you done? Er… state of attractive-repulsion. There. Tis done.

Amazing – and all is quiet on the Western Front. You paused us – mid-flip.

There’ll be hell to pay if Imbiminy starts hiccupping

Or laughing.

HIC

Oh no.

HIC

Reality shock.

HIC

Guys – she’s convulsing.

Hey – who was that?

I think it was Zie.

Oh my God – we have trans-phase contact.

HIC

Yep – as long as she’s got the hiccups.

Ok – this might not last long – so let’s invent a few shared code words to trigger her next time.

Good idea Quant.

Thanks Zie.

Er… how about “goosey goosey”

Er… ok. That’s the kind of thing I’d expect from you Merry.

HIC

And you can think of something better can you Ty?

Er… Cuckoo la la will do.

Ridiculous. I knew there was a reason I elected to be out of phase with you.

Oh thanks a lot, Merry. The feelings are mutual, i assure you. 

HIC

Guys – stop fighting – we’ve got to use this moment wisely.

Wisely – are you kidding Zie? This is the time for settling scores.

And riotous abandon.

Honestly Qant – what can be done with Merry and Ty – the whole world’s shaking to pieces and they’re behaving like a couple of idiots.

Unless that’s their purpose Zie. Perhaps, perhaps there is method to all madness.

In that case – cuckoo la la

In that case – goosey goosey

HEE HEE TEE HEE HAA HAA HEE HOO HEE HAA – OH MY SIDES ARE SPLITTING WIDE OPEN

And for a glorious moment of wild abandon the entire quantum field inverts as infinity collapses in a state of paroxysmal laughter, and there – dear reader – I must ask you to join in if you wish to have any understanding of what transpires – the file is accessible for download the minute you disengage from this text, dance around the room, or wherever you happen to be – uttering the pre-programmed code words – goosey goosey/ cuckoo la la    in any order, but with wild abandon, no less. Kindly proceed – and meet us behind the green shed in syncopated phaseology.


0=1

4 comments:

  1. I wish I wrote that.

    Oh wait a sec, so I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like a pair of socks you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An apple, cleft in two, is not more twin than these two creatures! Most wonderful! How do you make division of yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you make a bird sing?

    ReplyDelete